EveryDayisFlagDay

Flying the Flag and my Political Views. Have a flag you are proud to fly? Or a flag pic you have taken? I might post it. Submit to HighPlainsView@aol.com.

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Military Posers

Some people have the need to embellish their military service, to make their time serving seem more important and interesting. Or maybe they forget what they've told. Maybe they forget where they really were. Sadly, they do this even though everyone who serves is important, no matter the rank or job.

I knew a guy who told me he hadn't finished his enlistment because the Navy couldn't get him to the school he was promised and agreed to. After boot camp he was in a holding company awaiting admin discharge.

Over the years I guess he forgot what he first told me. His story came to include his being an Intelligence Officer on secret missions into hostile lands.

I didn't judge him harshly. I let him tell his stories. He talked that way infrequently enough that no harm was done except to his credibility.

But then, he didn't want to be my president, either!